Job Summary: The Cook provides overall management, direction, and preparation and service of food for all residents. Provides quality food services as set forth by the Golden Crest’s policies, procedures and mission statement, including, but not limited to preparing planned menu items, kitchen cleanliness and equipment maintenance.
Essential Functions, Responsibilities and Duties:
- Manages the kitchen and all meal preparation
- Oversees the compliance of the kitchen and menu.
- Responsible for compliance as it relates to the special dietary needs of all residents (allergies, food consistency, diabetic protocols, etc.). Must complete and maintain Resident Profile Forms for all current residents.
- Develops, implements and monitors the purchasing and inventory which ensures quality of food, supplies and cost per shopping list form.
- Portions and serves main entrees and all other hot food items, and labels, dates and properly stores left over foods.
- Treats all foods according to proper handling procedures. Cleans and sanitizes work areas.
- Ensures the dietary equipment is safe, useable and clean.
- At a minimum weekly: organize and clean pantry, kitchen cabinets, refrigerators and freezers. Make sure refrigerators and freezers are in good working order and thermometers in place reading (refrigerator – between 32 and 40 degrees, freezers – 0 degrees).
- Upon ANY ABSENCE from work (including sick days, and all other personal time off), prior preparations must be made in advance to ensure an easy transition for staff.
- emergency menu and emergency meals planned and prepared
- all grocery items/supplies purchased with explicit instructions for their use
- menu items that can be prepared in advance are to be frozen and labeled with clear, concise instructions for preparation
- all menus during absence must have clear, written instructions for staff
- All other duties assigned.
Specific Skills, Knowledge and Training Required:
- High school graduate.
- First Aid and CPR
- Scheduled in-services and specialty trainings
- Ability to follow standardized recipes and adjust yield. Comprehensive knowledge of food preparation, handling and service.
- Good hospitality skills
- MUST BE ORGANIZED
- EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION SKILLS
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and short correspondence. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively communicate with outside entities, residents, family members, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical skills: Ability to work with basic mathematical concepts.
Reasoning ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to deal with day-to-day situations calmly and effectively.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to the Manager and Executive Director.