5 Healthy Meals for Seniors
Healthy Eating Habits
Spring is right around the corner and it is also a good time to spring clean eating habits. Preparing meals and eating well are often a challenge especially as we age. Additionally, nutritional needs shift as we get older making it vital to eat healthy foods. Regardless if you are concerned about personal well-being or about the senior loved ones in your life, healthy meals are easier than most people think.
Nutritious Choices Start Now
- Springtime is the perfect opportunity to swap out processed foods for fresh fruits and veggies.
- It is easier to pick up healthy produce at a farmer’s market or local roadside stand.
- Staying hydrated is essential because with age comes a decrease is sense of thirst. Drink water and 100% juice options while avoiding sugar and salt.
- Make this healthy journey a social event. Once a week sit down with your senior loved one or with a friend, plan and write down the week’s menu and shopping list.
- Meal prep can also be an exciting activity for you and your loved one. Recruit them to help in prepping for the week’s meals or find a beneficial nutritional program for assistance.
- Use all available resources for help such as the National Institute of Aging, Department of Agriculture’s My Plate app, and government or county websites.
5 Healthy Meals for Seniors
-Great for breakfast or a snack
-Experimenting with different fruit and juices are encouraged
- 1 banana (large)
- 1 cup fresh peaches or strawberries
- 1 8-ounce container vanilla yogurt, low-fat
- 1/2 cup fruit juice
- Put all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into 2 glasses. Serve right away.
-Easy make-ahead breakfast
-Frozen blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries can be substituted
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk (or less for thicker oatmeal)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, fat-free
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raspberries, frozen
- Combine milk, Greek yogurt, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a container or jar with a lid.
- Add oats and mix well.
- Gently fold in raspberries.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours to overnight.
- Enjoy cold or heat as desired.
-Pair with a salad, rice dish, or steamed vegetables for a complete dinner.
-Lower sodium content by using reduced sodium cream of chicken soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat oil in a skillet at a medium-high setting.
- Add chicken and cook for ten minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Stir the soup and water together in the skillet and heat it to a boil.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
-For a touch of spice add canned green chilies to tuna sliders
- 5 ounce canned tuna, packed in water, drained and flaked
- 1 can chopped green chilies (1-4.25 oz. can)
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 6 slider rolls, split
In large bowl combine tuna, green chilies, celery, red onion, mayonnaise and chopped cilantro; toss to mix well.
Top bottom half of each roll with lettuce leaves; top with some tuna mixture and top half of roll.
-Use different veggies such as green peppers, mushrooms, or olives
-Healthier sauce and cheese options are available for dietary restrictions
- 1/4 mini baguette or Italian bread (split lengthwise, or 2 split English muffins)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella or cheddar cheese (part-skim, shredded)
- 1/4 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1/4 cup mushrooms (fresh or canned, sliced)
- vegetable toppings
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- Toast the bread or English muffin until slightly brown.
- Top bread or muffin with pizza sauce, vegetables and low-fat cheese.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasonings as desired.
- Return bread to toaster oven (or regular oven preheated to 350 degrees).
- Heat until cheese melts.